- Dipping sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 2 ounces uncooked shrimp, shelled, deveined, and finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup minced water chestnut
- 2 tablespoons minced Chinese celery
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 dash white pepper
- 24 dumpling wrappers (potsticker)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup chicken broth or 1/2-2/3 cup water
To make the sauce: In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and hot chili oil. Mix well and reserve.
To make the filling: In a large bowl, combine, the pork, shrimp, egg white, water chestnuts, celery, cilantro, ginger, sugar, salt and sesame oil. Season with a little pepper and mix, stirring rapidly in 1 direction until the mixture is well combined and spongy.
To make the potstickers: Working in batches, lay 4 potsticker wrappers on a clean surface. Keep the remaining wrappers covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying. Put a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of each of the 4 wrappers. Brush the edges with water. Fold the wrappers in half over the filling, pinching the edges together to form semi-circles. Put the potstickers on a baking sheet seam-side up and cover with a clean towel. Repeat until all the potstickers have been formed.
To cook the potstickers: Heat a large skillet over medium. Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot add half the potstickers, seam-side up. Cook the potstckers until the bottoms are golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Add 1/3 cup broth. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the cooked potstickers to a platter. Repeat, cooking the remaining potstickers.
Serve the potstickers warm accompanied by the dipping sauce.