- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter natural-style
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts coarsely, or almonds, 2 ounces/60 grams
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips or bittersweet
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Coat a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-centimeter) baking pan with nonstick spray.
Whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the peanut butter, sugar, and honey in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until blended. Blend egg and egg whites with a fork in a small bowl. Add to the peanut butter mixture, along with oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add reserved flour mixture and mix with a rubber spatula. Mix in oats, dried cranberries (or raisins), walnuts (or almonds), and chocolate chips. Scrape batter into the prepared baking dish. Use a piece of plastic wrap to spread batter into an even layer.
Bake the bars until lightly browned and firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a rack before cutting into 24 bars.